I have been defending people charged with crimes for over 20 years. I have seen how criminal charges affect not only the person charged, but their family and loved ones. That is why it is so important to take a proactive approach any time you are charged with a crime, or if you are even a suspected of committing a crime. The legal system is not always the “justice” system. At times, it can seem to be little more than an intricate game of chess where the wrong move could mean the difference between freedom and prison.
It is important for you to have the right lawyer to protect your rights and to make sure you are not just a pawn in the system. I have successfully defended federal criminal cases ranging from drug conspiracies to complex wire/mail fraud and money laundering cases. In Kansas state courts, I have defended homicide cases, Jessica’s Law cases and other serious sex offenses, as well as a wide variety of felonies, including drug cases. I believe a combination of vigorous pretrial motion practice, established negotiation skills and strong courtroom advocacy is the most efficient method to protect the rights of the accused and to achieve a successful result.
- Kansas, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1996
- Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas
- Juris Doctorate – May, 1996
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina
- B.A. – May, 1991
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, President, April 3, 2003 – Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member, April 3, 2003 – Present
- Kansas Bar Association, Member, April 3, 2003 – Present
- Neosho County Bar Association, Member, September 15, 1996 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Monnat & Spurrier, Chartered, Associate Attorney, April 3, 2003 – January 3, 2011
- Southeast Kansas Public Defender’s Office, Trial Attorney, February 2, 2001 – April 2, 2003
- The Law Office of James Pratt, Owner , June 1, 1998 – February 1, 2001
- Henshall, Pennington and Brake, Associate Attorney, September 15, 1996 – May 31, 1998
From offices in downtown Wichita, Kansas, Pratt Law L.L.C. represents clients charged with criminal charges in the Kansas federal courts and state courts throughout Kansas. Contact attorney James R. Pratt to schedule a free initial consultation.